The Hidden Children By Reshma K. Barshikar ; Interview



I was so enchanted after reading THE HIDDEN CHILDREN: THE LOST GRIMOIRE BY RESHMA K. BARSHIKAR that I instantly snagged an interview with this young talent of writing world. here is the interview session, hopefully you all will be able to understand her writing more after reading this.


1.   What motivated you to become an author?

I have always written but I wanted to be a Investment Banker growing up. But once I’d achieved my goal I found the job didn’t suit who I was and I couldn’t see myself doing this for the rest of my life. Simultaneously I began writing small travel articles because I was travelling a lot, both for business and leisure and I found my style leant towards story telling. Even my feature pieces would be lyrical and story like and the idea of writing something fictional inspired by my travels led to the first few chapters of Fade Into Red, my first novel published by Penguin Random House.

2.   How did you come up with the idea for this book? Did you come across any specific challenges in writing this book?

The book was born out of a series of dreams I had and scribbled down as soon as I woke up. The tone of the dreams and my scribbles clearly pointed to a young protagonist - I read a lot of YA and fantasy. 2016 was also a year I began to spend some time on Instagram and a thought that often crossed my mind was one about how young adults spent so much time curating their life on social media, the work they put in to make their lives look extraordinary and I wondered how far one might go and decided to explore that theme in the novel.
I think I had to understand today’s teenager rather than fall back on the teenager I had been but when I began to speak to them I realised that while our environments were different, our issues remained the same- we all still had to deal with the first flush of love, peer pressure, and navigate friendships in an age when friendships are ferocious.

3.   When you develop characters do you already know who they are before you begin writing or do you let them develop as you go? 

They absolutely develop as they go. While I do create a basic character profile, I find out things about them as I write the story and it’s easily the most fun part about the writing process, because I never know what they’re going to do. I have a vague idea of what they should do, but they can surprise me and they did that a lot in this book because there are so many characters and unlike my previous book, so much world building that meant I could do anything I wanted once I had created the initial infrastructure. I never knew what friendships would blossom or who would betray whom.

4.   How did you develop the character of ‘Soumi’? What were the troubles and challenges that you faced while developing her?

Shumi was going to be my quintessential teenager, full of contradictions and insecurities but someone whose family backed her completely. She’s a mixture of a lot of people I admire and what I knew for sure was her exceptional deep bond with her brother. In some ways a lot of who she was, the tomboy attitude, took off from being so close to her brother who I think is also her best friend, and I look forward to seeing where that relationship goes.

5.   What is the most important thing about a book in your opinion?

    If you mean ‘a’ book as in any book, I would have to say story and 
    characters. But for fantasy especially, there needs to be a sense of                wonderment and depth to the world the author has built.


6.   Any advice you would like to give to aspiring writers?

Write, and read. And once you write, have someone you trust give you feedback on it. A great way to write regularly is to join a class - online works fine, where you can hone your writing, meet deadlines and get constructive critisicm on your work.

7.   Is there anything you are currently working on that may intrigue the interest of your readers?

There is the sequel to The Hidden Children of course, lots of people are already writing in about that. There’s also another book I am almost done with, it has an adult protagonist but most definitely a fantasy thriller.


8.   These types of supernatural Young Adult stories are pretty common in western side but not at all here, in fact it is the first one that I’ve read which holds these capabilities, so why did you choose to write something like this?

I think its because its what I love to read. I love reading fantasy YA and wanted to write a story that I would love reading but also represented me - me being an Indian teenager with influences and a culture I could relate to.

9.   You’ve made this book a blend of U.S.(with it’s witchcraft and magic and high school drama) and India(with it’s culture, heritage, setting, society and of course school life) and I definitely love it but what do you think? Will Indian teenagers be able to enjoy it?

One I think we have forgotten we have magic too, and we have witches in our tradition. We have just forgotten that magic is a part of our mythology and I dislike that. Religion seems to have drowned magic the way it has all over the world and I think that’s hilarious considering almost all of religion is based on a suspension of disbelief.
On high school drama, we have tons of that as well. I think any Indian teenager that is a Potterhead or a fan of Sarah J Maas, Rachel Hartman, Hex Hall will love this, but hopefully they will love it more because it’s about them and set in a city they know and love.


10.    Last question; tell us something about your future plans for this coming New Year. Where do you want to see yourself?

So many things! Two new books, a lot more writing for wonderful blogs such as yourselves as your community is the last bastion of reading and reviewing, there’s a movie in the works and of course my ‘Hidden Imagination’ workshops I hold at festivals all over the country. I am also looking to publish one new writer so let me know if you have anyone good in mind!

------  -----   -----   -------  -------   ------   ------   -------   ------   ------   -------
I will absolutely do that! My big thanks to this wonderful woman for such a lovely review and also many thanks to Rakhi Jayashankar who made this happen.

Comments

Popular Posts